Thursday, July 10, 2008

Powerade


After searching ads for quite a while, I found an ad from “US Weekly” magazine. I think it contains one of the important values of mobility. The ad is about a sports drink that could replenish our energy after we drink it. In the ad, I noticed several things that contribute to a message that we as humans have no limits to our mobility.

In my opinion, the ad is not artistically beautiful, but I like how straightforward and directly the ad portrays to its meaning. The first thing that is noticeable in the ad is the color combination from the three bottles which merge into one color. The ad also includes a tennis player who is running to catch a ball. From these two descriptions, the first thing that pops into my head is the “FLASH.” I’m pretty sure everybody knows what the “Flash” is. He is the fastest man alive in comic books. I like how the ad draws a parallel between the “Flash.” It creates a feeling that after I drink it, I could become faster like the “Flash.” The ad also suggests that I have no limits in mobility when I drink Powerade.

Moreover, the words in the ad also help advertise powerade to the audience. The ad says “Zero Calories” and “Zero Limits.” Why does it say that? I think it helps to convince the audience that they could receive all the benefits from powerade with no disadvantages. I like how the ad presents the colors that correspond to the flavors.

Overall, I think the ad successfully sends a clear meaning that most people can relate to; no limits mobility. The main activity the ad resembles is sports. Sports are very fun and exciting activities. After we do sports, our mobility is limited because of exhaustion. It is very convenient that our mobility could be restored just by drinking this water and we could expand our mobility limitation to a point where we could extend our physical abilities to enjoy them longer than the usual time.

3 comments:

Jennifer Askari said...

In the beginning of the post you state “I think it contains one of the important values of mobility,” clearly state what that important value is. I noticed a grammatical error; use “who” instead of “what” when describing flash. I liked how you related to the bottles and the tennis player to Flash. My mind would have not immediately thought of that, but it is a perfect comparison. I was confused by the following sentence “Overall, I think the ad successfully sends a clear meaning that most people can relate to; no limits mobility.” I think people are away of what can immobilize them and are equally aware of their own capability to overcome something that might seem to hold them back.

Pete said...

I really like your interpretation of the ad, I wouldn't have thought of such things otherwise: of the three colors merging as 'one', of "flash", and the 'no limits mobility. I especially like how the lady in the ad is moving so fast, she causes a blur of colors. She then ends up perfectly still and clear, even though it seems like she has slid across the court, or moved across it in a flash. She left behind a trail of colors, very flashy indeed (no pun intended).

The ad and its slogan 'zero calories, zero limits' seems too perfect. By consuming this sports drink, not only do you get a bunch of energy (which by the way is not supplied by calories), but there is no limit to the things you could do, or your mobility. I like how the ad clearly depicts the rush you're supposed to get from this product. The rush (flash/flurry of colors) reflects 'no limits' very well.

Nevertheless, I am sold on this product. I would be more attracted to it if zero calories were a concern for me. I'd really like to see for myself if I will feel a boost in my athletic performance without any calories. I know that's probably not going to be the case, but I will still consider buying this drink the next time I come across it.

For your sentence "overall, I think the ad successfully sends a clear meaning that most people can relate to; no limits mobility", I think it might sound better if you instead put 'no limits to mobility'. Your concluding sentence feels too long. The phrase "expand our mobility limitation" sounds a bit awkward to me. Once again, nice ad and awesome interpretation of it.

Christopher Schaberg said...

By way of critique:

Tell me more about why exactly you do not find this ad "artistically beautiful"? This is intriguing, but I want more on this.

If "zero" is the goal here, why add *anything* to water? Why not just have water and 'nothing' else? The "zero" seems to be a mixed message, in this case.

What *are* the limits to human mobility? How are these limits accurately reflected in the ad? (Or, conversely, how are these limits belied by the ad?)

Concerning your "Flash" comparison, I have a question: isn't what makes superheroes awesome precisely that they are *not* regular humans? If you could bottle up the stuff of superheroes and sell it to everyday people, wouldn't this in fact be a gross challenge to the transcendental aspect of 'super'-heroes?

You have teased a lot of compelling issues from this seemingly simple ad. Nicely done.