Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kemper Hall(Revised)

I would like to describe the Computer Science Instructional Facility (CSIF) or “The Cave” as we call it in Kemper Hall. We named it because it is located in the basement (underground) of Kemper Hall without any view to the outside which makes telling time really hard, causing the room to resemble the literal meaning of a cave. “The Cave” is the place where all computer science and engineering undergraduates do their homework most of the time, unless they install the appropriate software in their computer. When I take a look at this room, it always frustrates and depresses me for three reasons. First, the idea of the word “cave” already makes me feel isolated from the outside world. Second, there is no single interior design that could lift up the depressing feeling created by the atmosphere. There are three rows with approximately eight to nine computers per row with a whiteboard, making it look like a classroom I had hoped to escape from, by this time of day. Third, the “confused” and again “depressed” expression from students who couldn’t solve the programming assignment. All of this contributes to my inability to enjoy the time I spend in this room.

Most of the time, the room is very quiet with small interaction between students because each of them is concentrating on their work in front of their computers and they look like they live in their own world. Most of the sounds that you can hear from this room are the keyboard typing and mumbles from students that are still solving the problems; the movement that I typically see in this room are students getting up from their chairs, going outside, and returning with a soft drink in their hands. From these descriptions, I could say that most of our activity in this room is like a “zombie” where each student walks into the room, looks for an empty chair, sits, and starts to program in front of the computers and then go home. The computer lab is the place where every programmer solves problems and creates more productive software in the name of technology. That is why “The Cave” one of many, is a point of Diaspora, where every person gathers around to solve problems.

3 comments:

Carol Shum said...

Ahh... Kemper Hall... your post reminded me of the horrors of the labs and my ECS30 class. I remember my friend and I would go down to the basement and program for 9-10 hours almost everyday and still did not get much work done. The reason I did not get much work done was because I was chatting online, looking up pointless things that have no academic value. Although the "cave" is a way that isolates us from the normal environment we see everyday, it still connects us to the virtual world which connects everyone around the world. In a way, the cave isolates us from a small group of people, but it brings us to a larger group of people together. By the way, I have never heard of the nickname, cave for the basement, but I have heard my friends called it the "dungeon".

Christopher Schaberg said...

This is an excellent description, a sort of post-modern reworking of Plato's infamous "Allegory of the Cave." Your writing is at once droll and laconic, and you capture the strange vibe of this subterraneous realm. Your final observation of the 'zombies' is astute and topical.

One note on grammar: Your sentence "Most of the sounds that you can hear from this room is the keyboard typing and mumbles from students that are still solving the problems; the movement that I typically see in this room is students..." needs some reworking—something like this: "Most of the sounds...*are*...the movements that I see *are*...." Does that make sense? Keep your plurals consistent.

Parika Bansal said...

I enjoyed your description of the CSIF. I do kind of dread going there, but I mainly agree with Carol's post. I do not think we were zombies because I would go and then find anything but CS work to do. Honestly my partner and I were the worst CS students ever. I definitely agree there is a feeling of despair because of "the “confused” and again “depressed” expression from students who couldn’t solve the programming assignment."
I am not sure if I look forward to my ECS classes next fall.